Hardware Implementation of IT2FLC using FPGA for Control Applications
AbstractAbstract: Interval Type2 Fuzzy Logic Control (IT2FLC) has been applied to a number of industrial, medical, home and military applications. Hardware implementation of IT2FLC can be achieved in a number of ways. One of these ways is the use of a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA). In this paper, the design and implementation of an IT2FLC using FPGA has been presented. The proposed controller is of Mamdani type. It works in different structures (P/PI/PD/PID like IT2FLC) depending on two control lines, different number of triangular shape memberships (2-7) depending on three control lines, six tunable gains and within a range of sampling time of (0.01-1024) seconds. Three type reduction algorithms are used and it is found that the Enhanced Iterative Algorithm with Stop Condition (EIASC) produced the minimum reduction in FPGA size. Thus less execution time. The reduction size is about 75% than Karnick Mendel (KM) and is about 3% than Enhanced KM (EKM). Linear and nonlinear models are used to test the designed Controller. Gains are tuned manually to reach minimum overshoot, settling time and steady state error. Simulation and Implementation results showed that the proposed controller works in an efficient way under no-load, load and uncertainty in the nonlinear model parameters.
2. Y. Maldonado. O. Castillo and P. Melin. â€œOptimal design of type-2 fuzzy controllers with a .multiple objective â€¦..genetic algorithm for FPGA implementationâ€, Fuzzy Information .Processing Society (NAFIPS), 2011.
3. A. S. Mani and T. Barjeev "Design and Implementation of Fuzzy Controller on FPGA".International Journal 000Intelligent Systems and Application, pp. 35-42. September 2012.
4. M. K. Panda, G. N. Pillai and V. Kumar, "Design of an Interval Type2 Fuzzy Logic Controller for Automatic â€¦...Voltage Regulator System", Electric.Power Component and System .Vol.40, 219â€“235, 2012.
5. L. J. Jun . H. H. Hsuan. C. P. Hwai. â€œEvaluation of an FPGA-based fuzzy logic control of feed-.water for ABWR â€¦..under automatic power regulating.â€ Progress in Nuclear Energy. vol. 79. pp..22â€“31. 2015.
6. M. D. Schrieber and M. Biglarbegian, "Hardware implementation and.performance .comparison of interval Type-2 â€¦..fuzzy logic controllers for real.time .applications", Application .Soft Computing, Vol. 32, PP. 175â€“188,.2015.
7. H. Li, X. Sun, P. Shi and H.K. Lam, "Control design of interval Type2.fuzzy systems with actuator fault: Sampled data control aPProach",.Information .Science, Vol. 302, PP. 1â€“13, 2015.
8. J. M. Mendel. R. I. John and F. Liu. "Interval Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Systems Made Simple".IEEE Transactions on â€¦...Fuzzy Systems. Vol. 14. No. 6. December 2006.
9. N. N. Karnik. J. M. Mendel. and Q. Liang. â€œType-2 fuzzy logic systems.â€ IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems. vol. 7. pp. â€¦..643â€“658. 1999.
10. D. Wu and W. W. Tan. â€œGenetic learning and performance evaluation of type-2 fuzzy logic controllers.â€ Engineering â€¦â€¦Applications of Artificial Intelligence. vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 829â€“841, 2006.
12. Donald G. Bailey, "Design for Embedded Image Processing onâ€¦FPGAs", .New Zealand, John Wiley â€¦â€¦..& Sons , 2011.
13. W. Xie. "Sliding mode observer based adaptive control for servo actuator with friction."IEEE Transaction on â€¦â€¦Industrial Electronics. vol. 54. no. 3. pp. 1517-1527. June 2007.
Copyright (c) 2018 Al-Qadisiyah Journal for Engineering Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.