Anatomical and histological comparative of the stomach and small intestines in rats and rabbits
AbstractThe current study was conducted on 12 rabbit type Oryctolagus cuniculus eating herbs and 12 rat type Rattus norvegicus, which is one of the omnivores, which was in good health and regardless of their sex, as he used the 6 rabbits and the same number of rats for the purpose of anatomical study, which included measurement of height and weight of the stomach and small intestine in rabbits and rats, and use the 6 rabbits same number of rats for the purpose of histological study it took small samples of each part of the required parts and flooded formalin and conducted by the histological examination stages to know the structure of textile layers constituent and then measured the thickness of the four textile classes through eyepiece,this results showed the stomach in rabbits and rats are from the simple monogastric type, which are divided into nonglandular and glandular parts as the mucus layer of non glandular stomach lining with keratinized stratified squamous epithelium ,the stomach glandular are covered with simple columnar epithelium,consists submucosa of the connective tissue rich with blood vessels, nerves and muscle layer is composed of two layers of smooth muscles and the serosa layer.
The histological structure of small intestine(the duodenum, jejunum and ileum) in rabbits and ratsis similar which consists of the mucous layer lining simple columnar epithelium stand it villi, which are long thin shape in rats and rounded paper form in rabbits The layer submucosa consists of connective tissue provider a lot of blood vessels and nerves, while the muscle layer it consists of two layers of smooth muscles, serosa layer represents the outer layer.
2. Abo-Ela Halawa A. M. and Attia. M. M. A. (2010). Role of ginkobiloba extract on jejuna mucosal changes induced by laparotomy in adult albino rat: Histological immunohistochemical and scanning electron microscopic study.
3. Ali M.B.M.,Ashamary M.H.,Al-Shaarawy E.abdelazizn..Mohamed I.A. and Abd El-Galil T.I .(2014). Short term effect of methotrexate on the jejunum of adult albino rat and the possible protective role of vitamin A: Histological and Immunohistochemical study.
4. AlqudahM.M.A.(2012).Effect of aging on heart and ileum histology of male albino rats.
5. Bancroft ,J.D and Stevens,A.(1982).theory and practice of histological techniques.2nded.churchilllivingstone,Edinburgh,London.pp.662
6. Barnes,G.G.andTomas,V.G.(1987).Digestive organ morphology, diet and guild structure of North American Anatidae Can.J.Zool.65:1812-1817.
7. Bi Yu and Peter W.S.C.(2014).The morphological changes of intestinal mucosa in growing rabbits.
8. Bland, PW and Britton, DC.(1984).Morphological study of antigen-sampling structures in the rat large intestine .Infect.Immunol.,43:693-699.
9. Brewer NR and Cruise lJ.(1994).Anatomy (chap 3) and physiology (chap 4) .in manning pj,ringlerdh,newcomerce,editors.the biology of the laboratory rabbit san diego:Academic press;p.63-71.
10. Byanet O.,Abdu P.A. and Shekaro A. (2011) Histomorphology of the gastrointestinal tract of domesticalgrasscutter (Tyronomysswinderianus) in Northern Nigeria;Journal Res.in Biol., 6,429-434.
11. Cathy A.J.(2006).Anatomy and physiology of the rabbit and rodent gastrointestinal system.eastside and exotic medical centre.PLLC 100thave ne,wa98034,USA.9-14.
12. Charles, F. l and John R.M.(2005).General zoology .rat anatomy.
13. Chiou PWS and Yu B,Lin C.(1994).Effect of different components of dietary fibre on the intestinal morphology of domastic rabbits. Comparative biochemistry and physiology 108A,629-38.
14. Craigie,H.E.(1983):A laboratory guide to the anatomy of the rabbit. University of toron to press.
15. Davies R.R., and Davies J.A.,(2003).Rabbit gastrointestinal physiology. Vet. Clin. North Am Exot.anim.pract.,6,p.139-153.
16. Dellmann,H and Brown E,M.(2000). Histology of the digestive system.in text book of veterinary histology .third edition .Lea and febiger,pp.229 -247.
17. Dojana,N.,C.M and Danischiotu A. (1998). The activity of some digestive enzymes in domestic rabbits before and after weaning. J. Anim . Sci.66:501-507.
18. Donelly TM. (1997).Basic anatomy ,physiology and husbandry .In:Hillger eh, Quesenberryke,editors.ferrets,rabbit and rodents:Clinical medicine and surgery.philadelphia :w.b.saunders;.p.147-59.
19. Florin Stan,(2013). Comparative study of the stomach morphology in the rabbit and chinchilla.
20. Galigher ,A.E.and Kozloff, E.N.(1964):Essentials of practical microtechnique .1sted.lea and febiger.philadelphia,pp:40-45.
21. Ghoshal , N.G. and Bal H.S. (1989).comparative morphology of the stomach of some laboratory mammals.
22. Grove, A. J and Newell,G.E.(1982):animal biology.9thed.fletcher and sou.ltd.norwich;p.494-497;648-650.
23. Hanson,A.(2011).wild Norway rat behavior.retrieved from http://www.rat behavior.org/wild rats.htm.
24. Harcourt-brown, F. (2002).Text book of rabbit medicine. oxford, uk:butter worth Heinemann.
25. Harold, E.(1992).The gastrointestinal tract .in:clinical anatomy a revision and applied anatomy for clinical students 8th ed.,73-97.
26. Heath,J.W; Young,B&Burkitt,H.G.(1999) Gastrointestinal tract.in:wheater's functional histology.3rded.Newyork.churchilllivingstone.
27. Hristov, H. kostov, d.andVladova. D. (2006).Topographical anatomy of some abdominal organs in rabbits.
28. Jenkins, JR. (2000).Rabbit and ferret liver and gastrointestinal testing. In:fuge am, editors. laboratory medicine avian and exotic pets. philadelphia:W.B.Saunders.p.291-304.
29. Khattab,F.K.(2007). Histological and ultrastructural studies on the gastric mucosa of rat after treatment with ethylene glycol.j.basic and applied sci.1:157-168.
30. Kotze,S.H.,VanDer merweE.L ., BennettN.C.andO'riain M.J .(2010) .The comparative anatomy of the abdominal gastrointestinal tract of the six species of African mole rat (Rodent Bathyerigidae ). Journal of morphology 271,p.50-60.
31. Lesson, TS;Lesson,CR and Paparo,AA.(1988).Text and atlas of histology.1st Edn.,Orlando,Florida,USA,W.B.Saunders Co.,pp:434-463.
32. Mitchell and Moreto.(2006).Absorptive function of the small intestine: adaptations meeting demand.Chapter 4. Avian gut function in health and disease.Pp:43-44.
33. Moore RJ, Kornegay ET,Grayson RL andLindemann MD.(1988). Growth nutrient utilization and intestinal morphology of pigs fed high fibre diets. Journal of animal science 66.1570-9.
34. Nathan,R.(2006):Historical special topic overview on rabbit comparative biology. journal of the American association laboratory animal science vol.45,no.1.
35. Ofusori,D.A;CaxtonMartins,E.A.;Adenowo,T.K.;Ojo,G.B.;Falana,B.A.;komolafe,A.O.; Ayoka,A.O.;Adeeyo,A.O and Oluyemi,K.A.,(2007).morphometric study of the stomach of African panoolin (manistricuspis) .Sci.Res .Essays,2(10):465-67.
36. Ofusori,D.A;Eniable,B.U;Falana,B.A;Adeeyo,A.O;Yusuf,U.andAjayi,S.A.(2008).Acomparative morphometric analysis of the stomach in rat rattusnorvegicus ,bat eidolon helvum and pangolin manistricuspis.J.Cell and animal Bio.2:579-083.
37. O'Malley, B. (2005).Clinical anatomy and physiology of exotic species:structure and function of mammals,birds,reptiles and amphibians .London, UK:Elseviersaunders.
38. Oumi ,M. and Yamamoto, T.(2000).A scanning electron microscope study on the effects of different bile salts on the epithelial lining of jejuna mucosa .Med.Electron.Microsc.;33(1):11-15.
39. Ron Rees D. and Jennifera.E.(2003).Rabbit gastrointestinal physiology.
40. Saladin,K.S. (2004).Anatomy and physiology –the unity of form and function .3rd ed. madison,mcgraw-hill, p 950.
41. Salem,H.F.A.(1991).Comparative morphological studies on esophagus and stomach of cat fish ,tilapia and mugil fishes.egypt.j.sci,65:95-106.
42. Schwartz G,EnomoteS,ValiquetteC,et al.(1989).Mastication in the rabbit:A description of movement and muscle activity.J Neurophysiol.62:273-87.
43. Sharma R., Schumacher U., Ronaasen V. and Coates M. (1995).Rat intestinal mucosal responses to a microbial flora and different diets. Gut,36:209-214.
44. Victor P. Eroschenko, PHD.(2005).Difiore's atlas of histology with functional correlations.12th edition Lippincott Williams and wilkins.
45. Yamauchi, K. E and Isshiki, Y.(1991).Scanning electron microscopic observation on the intestinal villi in growning White Leghorn and broiler chickens from1to30 days of age .British Poultry Science32,67-78.